Thursday, March 31, 2011

Salsa Lasagna

So, I realize, it's been a while.  And, yes, I have been cooking/baking up a storm behind your back! :(  BUT, I am going to do my best to get caught up and share all my fave recipes that have been overwhelming my kitchen lately!  First up: Salsa Lasagna.. and it is worth this long wait!  So, this came about by having an excess of tomatoes, tortillas, and ground turkey that I needed to use up: see what I created:

Ingredients:
*8 flour tortillas (i used the uncooked ones from Costco, but regulars will work, too)
*6 large tomatoes sliced and diced
*1 green bell pepper, chopped
*1/2 onion, chopped
*1 clove garlic, chopped
*cilantro, to taste (I LOVE it, so I put about 2-3 TBS)
*handful of chopped mushrooms (optional)
* 1 can black beans
*1 lb ground hamburger or turkey... or chicken, or no meat, whatever floats your boat
*1/2 can olives
*1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
* 8 oz sour cream
*a couple handfuls of shredded cheese (any kind, I use Mexican blend)
* I think that's it..

Directions:
*(FYI, this makes two 9x13 lasagnas... I try to always make 2 meals and freeze one when I'm cooking!)  Heat oven to 350.  Layer 2 tortillas on the bottom of two 9x13 pans.
*Cook meat until browned.
*Put 3/4 of the tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cilantro, and mushrooms in food processor and whip it good.  Should be pureed and liquefied.
*Mix cooked meat, beans and 3/4 of the salsa mixture together.  Divide into two portions and layer over tortillas in each pan. 
*Combine cream cheese and sour cream.  Pour half into each pan and smooth over meat mixture.  Layer two more tortillas in each pan.
*Drizzle remaining salsa over the tortillas in each pan.  Throw the olives into the food processor for 2 seconds, so they are just slightly chopped up.  Sprinkle olives, remaining tomatoes, and shredded cheese on top of each casserole.  VIOLA!  Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, until top is browned at edges and cheese is thoroughly melted.  DEVOUR!  (if you're not using the 2nd lasagna, let cool then cover and freeze for up to 2 months, then thaw, and bake at 350 until heated through)

No comments:

Post a Comment